Re: [dwm] Fwd: Re: maximization handling

From: Doug Bell <dougb_AT_bellz.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 06:21:44 -0400

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:31:16AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > after using dwm for a while, I agree that Mod1-m is somewhat
> > disappointing and often results in ugly side-effects (e.g.
> > running firefox maximized, downloading a file and the download
> > window appears - or in general if a popup occures on a maximized
> > window).
> >
> > I thought a while about it and realized that we only need
> > maximize in floating mode and for floating clients, because
> > there is no simple way to maximize floating clients (except
> > heavy mouse usage). For tiled clients one can toggletag a window
> > with 'fnord' and view that tag.
> >
> > Well, with this in mind, I propose changing togglemax as
> > follows:
> >
> > 1. togglemax should be client-specific, which means adding a
> > 'unmax' XRectangle to Client-struct which is used to restore
> > the unmaximized size on togglemax().
> > 2. togglemax has only effect on floating clients - or in floating
> > mode, it is unly toggled by request and never automatically
> > (this avoids all ugly side-effects).

I use togglemax fairly often on mangaed clients. I find it useful for a
quick, temporarily larger view. I like the idea of it not going away
automatically, but I would prefer that it keep working on managed
clients as well as on floating (that I rarely use).

> > I believe the code might get simplier as well. If someone needs
> > to maximize a tiled client, there are two ways:
> >
> > A) toggle to floating mode and togglemax

Then, to go back to the way it was means hitting togglemax and then
toggling back to tiled, right? Four operations instead of two...

> > OR
> >
> > B) toggle/tag a specific 'max' tag and view that tag instead

So you change the client's tag, view that tag, then, to go back, you
change the client's tag again and view the original tag. Again, four
operations...

> > Any remarks?
>
> One remark on my own. I believe one could re-use the
> zoom-shortcut in floating mode for this maximization toggling.
> It has similiar semantic.

Re-using the shortcut would be slick, but I still prefer to keep
togglemax on tiled clients.

Doug.