Re: [dwm] Fwd: Re: maximization handling

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:33:31 +0200

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:21:44AM -0400, Doug Bell wrote:
> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:31:16AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > > after using dwm for a while, I agree that Mod1-m is somewhat
> > > disappointing and often results in ugly side-effects (e.g.
> > > running firefox maximized, downloading a file and the download
> > > window appears - or in general if a popup occures on a maximized
> > > window).
> > >
> > > I thought a while about it and realized that we only need
> > > maximize in floating mode and for floating clients, because
> > > there is no simple way to maximize floating clients (except
> > > heavy mouse usage). For tiled clients one can toggletag a window
> > > with 'fnord' and view that tag.
> > >
> > > Well, with this in mind, I propose changing togglemax as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > 1. togglemax should be client-specific, which means adding a
> > > 'unmax' XRectangle to Client-struct which is used to restore
> > > the unmaximized size on togglemax().
> > > 2. togglemax has only effect on floating clients - or in floating
> > > mode, it is unly toggled by request and never automatically
> > > (this avoids all ugly side-effects).
>
> I use togglemax fairly often on mangaed clients. I find it useful for a
> quick, temporarily larger view. I like the idea of it not going away
> automatically, but I would prefer that it keep working on managed
> clients as well as on floating (that I rarely use).

I noticed that I used it in a similiar way, but this felt wrong to me,
because the zoomed window is exactly for this use-case in tiled mode.

> > > I believe the code might get simplier as well. If someone needs
> > > to maximize a tiled client, there are two ways:
> > >
> > > A) toggle to floating mode and togglemax
>
> Then, to go back to the way it was means hitting togglemax and then
> toggling back to tiled, right? Four operations instead of two...

No, if your tiled layout is ready to use, you can simply switch
to floating mode, select a specific client, zoom it (now it will
be maximized to the screen), and if you don't want to do this
with other clients, simply switch back to tiled mode.

> > > B) toggle/tag a specific 'max' tag and view that tag instead
>
> So you change the client's tag, view that tag, then, to go back, you
> change the client's tag again and view the original tag. Again, four
> operations...

Yes, but with the effect that nothing gets obscured, because the
maximization state isn't touched anymore.

> > > Any remarks?
> >
> > One remark on my own. I believe one could re-use the
> > zoom-shortcut in floating mode for this maximization toggling.
> > It has similiar semantic.
>
> Re-using the shortcut would be slick, but I still prefer to keep
> togglemax on tiled clients.

Well, I pushed the changes as I described to hg tip. I used them
for several hours already and it feels well to me, much better
and leander than before.
(Maybe one needs to get used to it due switching the modes more
 often dunno, but this is dynamic window management, isn't
 it...)

Regards,