Re: [dwm] Fwd: Re: maximization handling

From: Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:41:51 +0200

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 12:32:18PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:21:44AM -0400, Doug Bell wrote:
> > Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> > Then, to go back to the way it was means hitting togglemax and then
> > toggling back to tiled, right? Four operations instead of two...

> > So you change the client's tag, view that tag, then, to go back, you
> > change the client's tag again and view the original tag. Again, four
> > operations...

> > > One remark on my own. I believe one could re-use the
> > > zoom-shortcut in floating mode for this maximization toggling.
> > > It has similiar semantic.
> >
> > Re-using the shortcut would be slick, but I still prefer to keep
> > togglemax on tiled clients.
>
> For those scenarios you pointed out, I'd prefer a 'takewith'
> function which tags a specific client and views that tag in one
> step.

I also would like to keep the ability to maximize tiled clients. I think
your proposed 'takewith' function could work (keeping the number of
operations down is important) but this assumes that I always have an
'empty' tag available, right? This could be made part of
config.default.h so that users are aware of this.

cheers,
Anthony