[dwm] Re: resize woes...

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:10:34 +0200

Hi Sander,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:34:12PM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> >Ok, I'll wait for your sample app.
>
> Alright, here it is. Compile it with:
> cc `sdl-config --cflags --libs` example.c
>
> Resizing this doesn't really work too well, and I believe the part
> below SDL_VIDEORESIZE is the way it should be (according to "man
> SDL_ResizeEvent").
>
> Also attached to this mail is a patch that makes some small (mainly
> aesthetic) changes to the code, including (slightly altered) Jukka's
> patch that removes the obsolete maxcode from
> event.c:configurerequest().

Ok I applied your patch and tested this SDL app. Actually it
seems to me that SDL is broken to some extend. The app produces
various configurerequests after ButtonRelease. This don't
happens if dwm grabs the server during resize (like many other
WMs) - but it is actually a feature that dwm does not grab the
server that other clients can update the client area properly
and dwm can handle exposures on the bar and title windows.

Since this problem only happens with SDL apps, I think we can
live with it. I also fixed an issue in resize, now on each
resize a configurenotify event is send to the specific client,
this way many bugs related to Java apps might be solved as well.

Regards,