Re: [dwm] xterm forgets its contents upon resize

From: Jukka Salmi <j+dwm_AT_2006.salmi.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:14:30 +0200

Andy Gimblett --> dwm (2006-09-25 17:52:35 +0100):
[...]
> Suppose I have three xterms open, in an arrangement such as:
>
> +---------+-----+
> | | |
> | | B |
> | | |
> | A +-----+
> | | |
> | | C |
> | | |
> +---------+-----+
>
> Suppose A contains a whole load of text - maybe I've just cat'd a big
> text file, or something. Now, if I swap A and B, then restore A, the
> result is that A has "forgotten" or lost most of its textual content -
> it's mostly blank. It appears that this happens when it shrinks, and
> the restore is not enough to cause it to redraw nicely.
>
> Is this just a "feature" of the xterm I'm using (X.Org 6.9.0(213)
> xterm under FreeBSD)? Is there something I can do to stop this
> happening? Other clients handle this much better (for example emacs,
> or even a shell inside an "emacs -nw" inside an xterm!). At the
> moment it's putting me off dwm a bit, though I don't really think it'
> dwm's fault... :-[)

I'm seeing the same when using xterm shipped with XFree86 4.5.0. And
that's why I'm using [1]rxvt-unicode (aka urxvt) now: it manages to
re-wrap lines on resizes (unfortunately this works only as soon as the
scrollback buffer is in use. But this is [2]"normal behaviour"...),
and has some other nice features (e.g. daemon mode).

Cheers, Jukka

[1] http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/rxvt-unicode.html
[2] http://lists.schmorp.de/pipermail/rxvt-unicode/2006q3/000328.html

--