Re: [dwm] X Display Manager

From: Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:40:16 -0500

I'll second Qingy (corrected spelling... how'd it get into the fsf directory
misspelled?) http://qingy.sourceforge.net/

'startx' is fine, unless you're trying to be secure. Anyone can walk up to
your machine, give it a ctrl-alt-backspace and drop into your shell
(regardless of a screenlock). Fine for home use... sucks for the office.

Since qingy uses the framebuffer, you don't have the overhead of launching
X. It comes preconfigured to either drop you straight to console, user's
xsession or whatever their last session was. Plus, it's very easy to
configure themes (probably not all that interesting for most DWM folks...
but great for the rest of the family)

On 10/30/06, Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:55:58 -0500 Ross Mohn wrote:
> > Anyway, my question of possible relevance to this mailing list is:
> > What's the best X Display Manager to use. I've tried gdm and kdm, but
> > they both seem extremely bloated.I haven't put much effort into xdm, but
> > I suppose I could make it work. Isn't there anything
> > simpler/smaller/better?
>
> I'm using xdm on Debian/etch. Just the plain default install.
> It does nothing more than asking for username and password and
> then starts an X-session using the .xsession file (if it exists,
> else it starts Debian's default-wm). In the default config it
> does not offer Reset/Shutdown-buttons, however.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan
> --

Pancho needs your prayers, it's true.  But save a few for Lefty, too.
-- T. Van Zandt