Re: [dwm] dwm-2.2

From: Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:05:29 +0100

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 12:13:52PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> Make sure you use an UTF-8 capable X font, e.g.:
>
> -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*

Unfortunately, just using a special font does not seem to be enough.

For two weeks I've been trying to make a simple xlib hello world
program UTF8 aware, but it did not work.[1]

According to [2] you need to call some different functions. And you
don't use a single font, but a set of fonts. As far as I've
understood, X then pulls different characters from different fonts in
this fontset (Ascii from Font A, Cyrillic from Font C, Chinese from
Font D-F, German Umlauts from G and so on).

So far I've been able to make my program compile, but when I try to
print a string like "asdreこんにちはザワルド! äöüÄÖÜß", the
output is cut off after the 'e', not printing any special characters.

My system is UTF8 enabled, e.g. I can use Japanese input nearly
everywhere, so I think everything should be configured correctly.

My last hopes are a look at the source of wmii or the pango library
which implements easy-to-use font handling and should be UTF8 enabled
- but of course, I wouldn't want to use libpango in dwm :-)

Regards,
Christian

[1] de.comp.os.unix.programming:
    <ejpeol$lln$1_AT_yggdrasil.mitch.h.shuttle.de>

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/ch-output.en.html#s-output-x-xlib

--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de
> Gibt es da einen Wysiwyg Editor? Wenn ja: Wie heisst er?
Emacs. Du siehst ascii, Du kriegst ascii.
                            (Robin S. Socha in dcoul.misc)