[dwm] What functions do I really use?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:31:07 +0100

Hi there,

I'd like to know what functions do you really use in dwm,
because I feel, there are features I don't use. After
several months of usage, this might lead to an revision of
features, which could be externalized into patches instead
staying upstream in the default distribution.

Personnaly, I rarely/never use the following features/functions:

- titlebars of clients (I really can live without them, I never
   look at them), removing titlebars could reduce the source
   about 70 lines, maybe more with some restructurings
- viewall/toggleview: (I never view more than one tag per time,
   although I use the other way around, tagging some
   clients with more than one tag that they appear when
   viewing different tags) - I haven't implemented a patch, but
   this could make seltag[] obsolet, and at least the functions
   I listed here, approx. yet another 50-70 lines
   -> instead this feature, I would consider holding
   a pertag array for client order instead, to remember the
   per-tag layout correctly, this might add yet another 20-30
   lines

What do you think (I know your opinions about the client title
window already, but what do you think about my second point?)

If you want to check, how it feels without titlebars, you can
apply my patch for dwm-2.2 (and hg tip):

        http://suckless.org/download/dwm-2.2-notitlebar.patch

(It removes abot 70 LOC and renames drawtitle into drawclient,
 which sould be done anyway).

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361