Re: [dwm] Bottom Stack Patch for dwm-2.3

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:41:22 -0500

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 16:31 +1300, Karl. wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:00:40PM -0500, Ross Mohn wrote:
> > The Bottom Stack Patch for dwm-2.3 is now available in taggi.
>
> Yay! :-)
:-)

> Now I just need to figure out how best to apply it. I presume that the
> basic approach is to use the 'hg import' option, and I guess that that
> merges the patch directly into the code forevermore. Given that
> there often seems to be a new patch version each time there is a new dwm
> release, I am prompted to wonder what is likely to happen next time I
> do 'hg pull' ? I guess that hg is going to try to merge, and hopefully
> will succeed - otherwise I need to tidy things up myself?

The way to apply is to
1. download and unpack the official dwm-2.3
2. cd dwm-2.3
3. download dwm-2.3-bstack.diff
4. run "patch < dwm-2.3-bstack.diff"
5. compile and install

> Will I need to fetch clean versions of the source and patches, and
> applying the latter to the former each time there is a new release? Or
> is it all really much simpler than that?

It may or may not work with the tip. Don't count on it. If you want to
stay current with the tip, you'll have to check things out on your own.
Otherwise, just wait for the bstack.diff release.

> I am saddened that Anselm did not love the alternate stack positions
> enough to keep them :-( But I'm happy that we have dwm and that the
> code is small enough that other people can work on it without needing to
> devote a lifetime of study first :-)

I'm actually quite pleased that Anselm is keeping the code simple and
clean. It is much better than bloating it up with everyone's personal
wishes. Patches are the way to go here.

-RPM