Re: [dwm] Java Saga Continues...

From: Anthony Brown <agabrown_AT_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:05:11 +0100

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:35:50PM -0500, Pavel Tatashin wrote:
> Good day everyone!
>
> I understand Arg has done a good investigation into Java problem, but
> it is still an actual problem.
> To set AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit Is a good solution until you need to use
> Java's drag 'n drop operations. I spent half night debugging my JTree
> to find out that DnD does not work because of Java vs. DWM issues...
>
> Is this is not enough?
> Well here is a more serious problem on Java's side. If
> "AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit" is set Java VM 6, 64 bit version segfaults...
> At least on Linux (checked with FC6) (JDK 5 64 bit works fine)
>
> While the later one is purely Sun's fault, has anyone found a solution
> to the first issue? I so got used to DWM and really hate to start
> other WM just to work on my project.. :-(

Same here, on my amd64 system with Java6 and MToolkit my java app
crashes. Without MToolkit the behaviour of the app (reaction to menu
button clicks) is not quite as I would expect so Java6 seems to have
even more problems with dwm. I seem to remember from what I read on
Sun's web pages that MToolkit will be removed from Java in the future
(maybe it's already gone) so this problem will remain.

cheers,
Anthony