Re: [dwm] yet another random ideas

From: Dave Heistand <dheistand_AT_challiance.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:40:26 -0500

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:05 +0100, Julian Romero wrote:
> On 1/4/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm thinking about a different kind of tiled layout which I
> try
> to describe in the following...
>
> What I have in mind is something like a customizable grid
> layout
> which displays clients within a ring list.
>

> I think it is worth a quick prototype.
>
> Regarding customizable layout I have a (*random*) idea in mind but w/
> no time to try it out.
> The idea is to have a grid definition for each tile mode. The grid
> "string" states where the next client will show upits relative size.
>
> An attempt of explanation using examples...
>
> a max of 2 visible clients in 2 columns
> #define C2 "\
> 01 "
>
> max 2 clients in 2 rows, single column
> #define R2 "\
> 0 \
> 1 "
>
> a more sophisticated layout for maximun 5 clients
> #define L5_AS_2_PLUS_3 "\
> 001 \
> 234 "
>
> or 2 "big" clients in top-left corner plus a bottom one and 2
> additional clients in right-most side
> #define L4_AS_1_PLUS_3 "\
> 00113 \
> 00114 \
> 22222 "
>
> When a figure is repeated the relative (inital) size increases. If
> there is more clients they will be showed with focus next/previou
> (dismishing one of the currently visible) The client in position 0 may
> keep untouched (a kind of master client).
>
> In addition to cycling over the layouts we can associate shortcuts to
> a specific one...
>
> { MODKEY, XK_l, dohypercustomtile,
> { .cmd = L4_AS_1_PLUS_3 } }, \
>
> An algorithm to parse such strings and assign client dimensions and
> coordinates accordingly is not be very hard.
> This customization is (mainly) useful if each tag or tag combination
> remembers its last used layout.
>
> Remember, just and idea.

I am no programmer but I think I really like this idea if I'm
understanding it correctly. I use ion on my work machine (dual head)
but use dwm on my laptop. I think if i could I would go with dwm at
work thanks to a thread about using conky with dwm. Would using this
layout may make using 2 monitors a bit easier? Here is a layout I could
use for dual head, it is close to what I'm doing in ion (the white space
is where my monitors split):

01 223
45 223
45 666

Would a layout like this cause the clients size to be static? If the
clients size stayed static then I definitely could use dwm with 2
monitors.