Re: [dwm] Again client titles and nmaster indicator

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:27:48 +0100

Well... actually in your screenshot the mode indicator
just looks a strangely named tag...
It doesn't separate as good as with a distinct status
color.

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:09:39 +0100 Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 01:07:57PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
...that's not a very descriptive naming

> > I'm not sure about this. I agree that STATUS{BG,FG}COLOR is
> > misleading. We'd have then:
> > BORDER{BG,FG}COLOR
> > SELTAG{BG,FG}COLOR
> > NORMTAG{BG,FG}COLOR
> > MODE{BG,FG}COLOR
> > TITLE{BG,FG}COLOR
> > STATUS{BG,FG}COLOR
> > DMENU{BG,FG}COLOR
> >
> > That are 14 colors! Too much in my eyes for a small status bar.
True, but the DMENU colors are just the same as the SEL/NORMTAG
colors. And as above, BG=unfocused and FG=focused is very misleading.

> > All in all I think that the mode label is not so important that
> > it needs a different color, and since the tags are static at
> > compile time, the position of the mode label never changes.
> > Having the status text in the same color as non-focused/selected
> > things is ok, the bar has been divided with this in mind.
Yes, but as I said with regard to your snapshot, the mode
looks like a tag at first glance. It needs a distinct color (and
requires only two additional constants - you just threw them
away to introduce two others, are those two lines saved that
important?).

You've already implemented that, but I don't think it's good
this way. Also, as it's just about naming constants, I can't
see why SEL/NORM-BG/FG/BORDER is better than SEL/NORM-BG/FG
and (UN)FOCUSEDFRAME... which would be much more self-explaining.
And these frame-colors have no relation at all to the tag
colours, so why group them together?

Regards,
Stefan