Re: [dwm] Again client titles and nmaster indicator

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:29:49 +0100

Tako rzecze Anselm R. Garbe (w e-mailu datowanym 2007-01-15, 14:11):

> > I cannot understand why a config value cannot be added to inhibit
> > drawing of the titlebars if someone doesn't like them.
>
> Because this is against the dwm philosophy and it introduces bad
> style. Once you add compile-time options using CPP for a
> specific feature, it won't last long that people request such
> options for other things as well. Hence I prefer strict decisions
> to remove a feature which is not essentially, like client title
> windows.
>
> The software philosophy I follow is, to create usable software
> which only provides the essential functionality, which has been
> identified during its evolution. That might be different to
> other philosophies like that found in mutt - there features have
> been added during its life-time and never removed. That's why
> developing software like mutt is so depressive.
>
> > @arg: I understand this is your own window manager, but then why do you
> > consult your decisions? You do as you like anyway...
>
> I consult because I have been proven wrong quite often.
> But sometimes I notice that my decision is better for the future
> of some software, even if there are complains.

OK, I understand your point and thanks for a lengthy answer, however:

> No. As I already pointed out, in most cases you don't identify a
> window by its title. Instead, you identify it by its content.

I'd rather you wouldn't say how *I* identify my windows and why. You do,
this is your way of work, ok. I work different I find window titles very
helpful and especially helpful the way you implemented them in dwm (ie
not wasting any window space). So I'll stick with them as they are now.

Best,

[a]

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |