Re: [dwm] launch of groupie (s/taggi/groupi/)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:16:08 +0100

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 05:31:06AM +0100, S A wrote:
> wouldn't it be wiser to do the whole thing in Perl? some pros i see:

No, perl is contraditory to our philosophy, because perl was the
first tool which broke the Unix philosophy: do only one task,
and do it well.
perl does everything, and much in sub-optimal ways.

> * clearer
> + html::templates makes it easy to separate markup from code
> + same language thru out the whole app

I think using sed for html templates is fair.

> * faster
> + no need to pipe thru coding scripts as Perl got functions for
> encoding and decoding
> + regex built it, no need to pipe thru sed

I agree on that, but I think there is no performance problem
even in shell scripts.

> * more flexible
> + Perl has tons for modules. implementing new advanced features
> would be easy if wanted

This flexibility means a lot more complexity...

> * more portable
> + not that anyone cares but it would work on windows too

I think sh, sed, awk, etc. also work on windows.

> if you are interested in going the Perl route; let me know. i have
> rewritten the old taggi (version 1) with some added features into Perl,
> perhaps you can reuse some of that code.

You mean the php taggi or the sh-based taggi which is currently
in use at suckless.org?

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361