[dwm] 9ubuntu?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:07:11 +0100

Hi there,

during last week I evaluated Windows Vista during my freetime -
I'm not surprised... The whole system is too slow for me and
contains only few innovations I consider useful (well most of
them are also part of OS X, though I'm not uptodate with OS X).

To a long-year X/wmii/dwm user the most annoying part in Windows
Vista is the inefficient cut'n'paste handling and the manual
window organization (even the mouse-driven Snarfing of Plan 9 is
faster than this braindamaged and inconsistent cut'n'paste
handling of Windows).

The trip with Windows Vista lead to a reinstallation of ubuntu
on my notebook (because I had to re-partition my disk), but the
ubuntu installation also was very disappointing, because of
this retarded Gnome environment (XFCE, KDE and Gnome altogether
are pretty similiar to the Vista Desktop)...

With each ubuntu/debian installation I have to install dozens
of packages to setup my system as I like it to be, this sucks.
I can't even use a live cd to run my environment on any computer
- the stuff by Michael Prokop called grml (www.grml.org)
contains too much stuff I don't regularly use - although it
comes very near to what I'd like to have.

I also notice that there is no real Linux distribution with the
flavor 'designed for C hackers and 9 lovers' out of the box
(grml closes the gap for sys admins). So I got the idea that I'd
like to see a new ubuntu flavor called 9ubuntu for '9 lovers and
C hacker ubuntu' which comes packed with dwm/wmii and all
necessary tools for developing C code (*-dev, vim, gcc,
make, plan9ports,...) instead of those clunky desktop
environments.

What do people think about this idea? Even if this might not
be officially supported by the ubuntu community, I'd like to see
something like this, because I need it. Is there anyone
interested to initiate such a project?

Regards,