Re: [dwm] st terminal

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:05:44 +0100

> 2kSLOC and I think the final version will be not above 2.5kSLOC,
> dunno why all those other coders need to put a terminal into ten
> thousands of lines...

maybe i'm blind but st does not handle a lot of things others do (well
most of those stuff are unnecessary but still)

* many esc sequences from man console_codes are not implemented (eg
some standard ECMA-48 codes)
* also no selection
* no char map changing
* no utf-8 decoding and unicode support (and don't forget about the
many other encodings)
* no scrollback history
* no fast scrolling (most terminals does not scrol line by line when
it gets lot of input like 'cat src/*.c')

if you'd implement these then your code would be much larger

implementing a terminal emulator bound to be bloated since the spec is bloated
either your code will be huge or it won't be standard compliant

of course those 'standards' are mostly deprecated/unneccessary/unused
but still i thought i'd point this out that there is a reason why they
are so huge