Re: [dwm] about dwm's quit and Xorg's quit

From: Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:23:39 +0200

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 09:14:14AM +0800, anhnmncb wrote:

> what's the difference between dwm's quit using Alt-Shift-Q by
> default and Xorg's quit using Ctrl-Alt-BS, which one is better for
> quit?

The former quits the dwm process while the latter kills the whole X
server. Depending on your setup, these can be two very different
things.

For example, when you are modifing dwm, you could run it in an endless
loop, so that you can just do a compile, kill dwm and the freshly
recompiled dwm will restart _without_ killing your whole X session.
(Personally, I prefer the dwm restart patch for this situation.)

If you run dwm from your .Xsession and quitting dwm also ends your X
session, then both variants are nearly identical. Although a "proper"
shutdown of your X session might be favored to just killing the X
server.

Redards,
Christian

--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de
Wird "Neuling" jetzt eigentlich standartmässig "Newbee" geschrieben?