Re: [dwm] floating

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:45:17 +0200

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 01:19:12PM +0200, Enno Gottox Boland wrote:
> I think it's also possible to remove floating layout from dwm and use
> it as a "fallback" if arrange == NULL.
>
> In my eyes floating does nothing which belongs to a arrange function.
> The arrange function should only arrange the windows. In my opinion it
> shouldn't handle things like the visibility of a window. With this in
> mind the floating function is empty.

I agree on the fact that ban/unban stuff does not belong to
arrange(), I plan to change this. However, floating is used to
resize all visible windows respecting increment hints, so if you
toggle to floating when in some tiled layout, you will notice
that all windows will get a size they asked for. This is the
only reason why floating exists explicitly besides ban/unban
stuff.

Regards,