Re: [dwm] A nice flame about C++

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:27:26 +0200

Tako rzecze Kurt H Maier (w e-mailu datowanym 2007-09-23, 11:03):

> Have you considered maybe his emotions are a part of his argument, and
> that's why he's conveying them? In addition to telling the guy why
> C++ is inappropriate for git, it's pretty clear he's tired of people
> rolling up and expounding on the obvious inherent superiority of
> $language.

Yes. He's surely tired of that, what I'm saying is that putting too much
emotion into an argument actually spoils it in my opinion. Nothing more
than a way to start a flamewar.

> Think about it. If he had posted some kind of emotionless drone about
> string handling in C, nothing would have come of it. Instead, he was
> emotional, articulate, and honest, and Anselm thought it sufficiently
> amusing/informative to post it here. I guarantee [dwm] isn't the only
> mailing list it's being discussed on -- which lets more people know
> that Linus is sticking with C for git. It also makes it clear that a
> person would be wasting his time to post "well c++ might not be the
> answer but clearly you should use $yet_another_language!"

OK, I'm not proposing and emotionless drone, just thought that abusing
the other party up front with a big “*YOU* are full of bullshit” is
mostly unnecessary on a technical ML and makes the author look silly to
put it mildly.

I have nothing against Anselm putting the link on this ML, in fact I too
found it a little amusing even if I was amused the other way round. So I
just posted my comment on the matter.

> I'm still having a hard time figuring out how getting pissed off makes
> him a complete moron. Some of the most brilliant people I know get
> furious over trivial things. Strike that: _most_ of the brilliant
> people I know get furious over trivial things. What has made you
> equate anger with idiocy?

Hey, I see your point. It's mostly about the wording: in my post I said
that what Linus wrote makes him look like a complete moron. So I'm not
equating anger with idiocy, just judging the outcome of his anger as
looking [completely] moronic and unnecessary. Perhaps “a complete
moron”, if taken literally sounds too strong, but then, why shouldn't
you take my opinion literally if we're discussing Linus' opinion. No,
I'm not proposing that Linus *is* a moron (for obviously he is not),
just commented that he made himself look like one.

Really, I can agree with most you're saying, just seeing the other side,
too.

Best,

[a]

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |