Re: [dwm] improved tile()

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:46:06 +0100

On 10/2/07, Peter Hartlich <sgkkr_AT_hartlich.com> wrote:
> Oh, now I see why focusnext() and focusprev() originally called
> restack(), but enternotify() didn't.

This might tie in with something triggered by some modifications I've
made that I've been trying to figure out for a week (using dwm-4.4).
I've been experimenting with a modified tile that, amongst other
things, put the last group of visible clients into an arrangement like
the stack layout of wmii (ie, all but one are on bar height high, with
the remaining client occupying the rest of the column space, and when
the focussed client changes to one of the small clients it becomes the
big client). Doing this requires extensive small changes: in
particular, all code that focusses a new client needs to call
arrange().

It's almost working, except that there are some very mysterious
differences between how things react if a client gets focussed using a
keyboard shortcut vs by the mouse moving in. the modified dwm redraws
things ok, but different X events get sent to the client, which can be
important.

I'm still trying to understand what it's doing so can't give a full
bug report, but if Anselm could summarise any key differences in the
way focussing by keyboard vs focussing by mouse enter works, that
might be helpful.

(I've attached the tile() I'm using if it's of any help, but it
obviously won't run because lots of other changes are needed.)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
david.tweed_AT_gmail.com