Re: [dwm] clientspertag status message

From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh_AT_cs.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:07:27 -0400

On 11/5/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:24:49PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > On 11/5/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> > > No, if tile() would depend on the focus history you won't be
> > > able to ever focus something else, than the master client.
> >
> > yes and that's what we want in a fullscreen layout (the focused client
> > is always the maximized)
> >
> > are there any stack dependent tile() implementation?
> >
> > if there is then the solution could be:
> > calc_focused();
> > layout->arrange();
> > adjust_stack();
> >
> > which is a bit ugly and increases complexity...
>
> Well, just use a stack-based tile() or monocle() implementation.

That's what we have right now... the discussion is basically about that
one line which repeats the "next focussed window finding algorithm after
view change" in focus(). Szabolcs (and myself) are basically making the case
that doing a focus() call before layout->arrange() doesn't change anything
for dwm but helps our new tile() to know about the selected window without
re-running dwm's focus history algorithm.
The question is basically about abstracting away 'stack' with just 'sel' for
tile() [Currently, sel is pretty much useless in tile()]. But I guess you
are right, let us expose the full focus history stack to tile() and let *it*
choose what is wants to query from it. We are basically making a case for an
uptodate 'sel' too in tile().

_r