Re: [dwm] Tell that your students...

From: Enno \ <gottox_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:53:05 +0100

Hi!

> Unix like userlands were able and are able to adapt to new
> technologies.

Unix is able to adapt these new ideas, but how they are integrated in
the system is very ugly. dbus as a interprocess communicat protocol is
very clumsy, hacky and everything it does could be done without it
more elegant. The network implementation of Linux (and also other
unixes) is awkward. The DRI to 3D hardware only a hack. Socket
programming is very complicated...

To come back to topic. I don't know if there is a need for a totally
new user interface, but I'm very sure that there is a need for a new
userspace model. Plan9 has a good base, but there are still some ugly
things in the system... e.g. mounting is needless in my eyes. If I
want to access a resource, why do I have to say "mount this resource
at /bla" and than access the mount point? - Why not accessing the
resource directly?

Don't get me wrong I like Posix System very much. But I see a point
where the evolutionary process of Unix is over and we need a new OS
which can handle the tasks in a more elegant way than for Example
Linux.

--
http://www.gnuffy.org - Real Community Distro
http://www.gnuffy.org/index.php/GnuEm - Gnuffy on Ipaq (Codename Peggy)