Re: [dwm] slock bug/misfeature?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:34:08 +0100

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 10:52:05PM +0100, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2007 11:58 AM, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 11:37:45AM +0100, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I tried running slock instead of my usual xtrlock this night and I think
> > > there's a bug (or perhaps just a misfeature):
> > >
> > > when a window shows up (say a dialog) after launching slock it appears
> > > over the black background which kind of defeats the purpose of having a
> > > black window at all. Of course I still need to enter the password to
> > > access the computer, so this part works OK.
> >
> > Agreed, that seems to be a bug.
>
> I believe xscreensaver raises itself to the top every once in a while
> to make sure it stays topmost; perhaps we could do something like that
> (maybe even tracking new window appearances/raises, and reraise slock
> only when it is no longer the top window?)

slock cannot select for CreateWindow events while a WM is
present, but I believe raising it every once in a while will be
ok. I'll check which event comes nearest that slock can grab
for, that it doesn't raises all the time. Or maybe a select
timeout of 1 second and checking if slock is still the top-level
window using XQueryTree(). There are plenty solutions to the
problem.

Regards,