Re: [dwm] dwm wish, a tidy-up function

From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh_AT_cs.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:07:36 -0500

n Dec 6, 2007 5:23 AM, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:18:49AM +0100, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> > On Dec 6, 2007 10:06 AM, Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > > No. At least not in my opinion, please keep it simple & stupid.
> > > Thanks for the excellent work.
> >
> > I agree. If anything, I think I'd prefer a .dwmrc.
>
> Ok, but the DWMTAGS idea is ok for everyone?

I am wondering how will that work if we have two windows from the same
process. While keeping TAGS (and possibly floating state) in the environment
can eliminate the need for regex based client matching, I still would like
to segregate windows from the same process with different tags.
I was wondering if X11 supports some kind of window metadata atom which the
window manager could use to store some custom data? Dwm could just publish
the tags for a window there and use it on a restart.

Ritesh