Re: [dwm] [announce] sltar-0.2.1

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:39:48 +0100

Yay :) awesome source :)

It works fine for me. The gzip/bzip support is useless so you can pipe't
with zcat/bzcat, the only thing i miss is the 'c' flag :)

I usually like to untar with verbose mode which (theorically) would be
the same than specifying -t and -x (list contents and extract).

If you want to add compatibility with standard tar or pax you should
add -v -z and -j...but srsly..these flags looks like a joke to me, but
sometimes is useful for comodity.

  - v : verbose.. why if we have -t ? .. maybe we should rename t as v?
  - z : gzip ( !"gzip"~=/^z/ )
  - j : bzip2 ( !"bzip2"~=/j/ )

About security...i must say that it will need some file creation checks.

 - It doesn't stops or warns if a mknod/chown fails
 - does not checks for crosspath filenames like ../../../etc/passwd
 - does not checks for headers or invalid data
   - can cause the creation of wrong filenames (binary stuff)

PD: Can you add RSS to your blog? :)

PD2: This program makes me think about a future suckless-like OS

--pancake