Re: [dwm] problem with "move window while dragging" (mod1-button1)

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:47:10 +0100

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:43:42PM -0500, Jeremy O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 06:48:12PM +0100, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I want to give `dwm' a serious try (used it only
> > sporadically on my labtop up to now). so far everything
> > seems to work except
> >
> > window movement which mod1-button1 mouse dragging.
> >
> > nothing happens. floating windows always pop up in the upper
> > left corner of the screen and stay there. resizing with
> > mod1-button3 works, though.
> >
> > I even installed some patches from the home page enabling
> > keyboard based movement of windows, which works more or
> > less.
> >
> > I search Gmane but did'nt see anything relating to this.
> >
> > this is under MacOSX.
> >
> > what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > any help appreciated,
> >
> > joerg
> >

> You've tried both alt/option and the command key? This is probably an OS
> X issue. I've had mixed results from running X on OS X.
>
> --

mod1 (alt) is recognized correctly (in all keyboard commands
as well as in mod1-button3 + dragging, i.e. window resize).

maybe it is an mac related X11 issue, but I'm not sure. I
still use the (old) Xfree86 version coming with macos 10.4
and it works correctly AFAICS.

but what I realized only now is that mod1-button1-click
anyway does usually insert previously selected text in an
xterm (i.e. this combination emulates a sole button2 click).
and it does this still, so maybe this function masks the
`dwm' definition.

anyway, thanks for bothering,

joerg