Re: [dwm] Nice "suckless" password manager

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:42:08 +0100

I put accounts.txt in an encfs-encrypted directory. Each password has a
nickname and a value. Then I have a script that can

    * list all nicknames
    * print the password for a given nickname
    * put the password for a given nickname into the X selection (for
      pasting with mouse-2)

I think the idea sucks less, but the script itself sucks more. (It
tries to support multiple passwords on one invocation, but fails.) Btw,
does anyone know how to insert something into the buffer that is used
for Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V in Gnome-ish and KDE-ish apps?

Kai

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I posted a thread on the debian-user mailing list titled "Nice GUI/CLI Password Manager for Linux."
>
> I got some interesting answers. Mainly:
>
> 1. vim + encfs
> 2. Revelation - GTK app
> 3. pwsafe - CLI solution but looks like it hasn't been updated in a while
> 4. KWallet
>
> After DWM, I've been in a "suckless" mindset. So from the above list...it looks like vim + encfs is a good solution.
>
> What do DWM users use?
>
> Thanks,
> Amit

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "-a" ]; then
    grep "^PW:" $HOME/crypt/accounts.txt | awk -F: '{print $2}'
    exit 0
fi
cmd="xclip -i"

if [ "$1" = "-l" ]; then
    shift 1
    cmd=cat
fi
first=yes
for pw in "$@"; do
    case "$first" in
        no)
            sleep 1
            ;;
    esac
    first=no
    grep "^PW:${pw}:" $HOME/crypt/accounts.txt | awk -F: '{print $3}' | $cmd
done