Re: [dwm] A rather radical thought

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:36:32 +0200

"Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> What about getting rid of supporting the selection of multiple
> tags at a time and celebrating the revival of the column layout
> of wmii again in dwm 5.0? What about getting rid of all the tiled
> layout flavors in favor for the column layout?

I haven't tested wmii for a long time, but if you mean want to turn dwm
into something more acme-like, I vote against it.
I'm using dwm on a fairly small screen (17'', 1024x768), but it works
for me with 2 windows in the master area:

  +------------+------+
  |$ | |
  | | |
  | | |
  +------------+ |
  |$ | |
  | | |
  | | |
  +------------+------+

But I would prefer something like this:

  +------------+------+
  | | |
  | | |
  +------------+------+
  | | |
  | | |
  +------+-----+------+
  | | | |
  | | | |
  +-------------------+

Additionally I would like to be able to stack multiple tags. So if I
select 1, 2 and 3 each one is a separated layer which you can raise or
lower. This is much like maximised windows that you cycle through. So
a tag in this layout is much more like a group.
It would be also nice in this layout to lower individual windows so
that by lowering them they become member of tag behind the current tag
in the stack.
If you want to allow raising that way you would of course need
transparency.
Maybe the status bar should also the tags, so that you can raise a certain
tag by clicking on its name.

So the idea of tag layout should be worth considering (image a big screen
with floating resizeable tags).

Regards
Matthias-Christian