Re: [dwm] A rather radical thought

From: andrew <alindberg_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:36:11 -0400

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> Here is what I have exactly in mind from a user perspective:
> ... <snip several command explanations> ...
> So the whole layout concept consists of basically 4 keys with 3
> kinds of modifiers.

4x3 = 12 (TWELVE!) combos to remember/learn to manage windows?
Currently I have (i think) only three: mwresize (left and right) and zoom.

I would reiterate that the whole appeal of dwm is to manage my windows
in a predictable way and get out of my way. All this capability to
move windows around is exactly why i abandoned wmii (not to mention
non-tiling WMs) in the first place, wasting to much time organizing
windows "just so".

And I would like to echo that the ability to mix and match what tags I
am viewing is the real "dynamic" backbone in dwm. I separate
applications by tag and then view the tags I need for the job at hand,
whether thats a text editor and www for reference, web and chat on the
side, I pull in email periodically to check it and then dismiss it.
Without the ability to quickly bring in windows not in the current
view, whats the point of tags?

Regards,
-Andrew