[dwm] togglemax substiute in 4.9?

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:55:29 +0200

hi,

as `togglemax' seems gone in 4.9: I agree, that `monocle'
is very useful (and superior). the only problem is (seems?)
that one cannot easily toggle back and forth to the previous
layout. rather, one needs to cycle through all 4 layouts
right now, it seems. this is not so nice...

question: is their a chance to get a kind of `togglemonocle'
functionality into dwm without writing it myself? this would
seem a frequent demand: activate monocle for some time than
switch back to tiling (or whatever layout was in effect
previously).

w.r.t. to `floating': I find it always rather annoying that
leaving `floating' layout, i.e. going to some tiling layout,
there is no way of going back to floating while getting back
the previously manually selected arrangements of windows. I
admit, I use `floating' rarely, but when I do, the above
behaviour comes into the way quite often. the problem with
"destroying" floating arrangements by selecting a diferent
layout is, of course, especially severe because layout
changes act global.

question: any chance of making `dwm' remember any `floating'
positioning information on a per-window basis which would
enable restoration of positions when coming back to
floating layout?

regards,

joerg