Re: [dwm] dmenu, slock patches; slock DPMS crash

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:31:03 +0200

"Sander van Dijk" <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de> wrote:
> > It's POSIX conform [1], so I don't see the whole point of the
> > discussion.
>
> POSIX was created to make it easier to write portable apps. When one,
> knowingly, writes a non-portable app, and then says "hey, but it's
> POSIX compliant", one is missing the point. POSIX is a means to an
> end, not an end in itself. Basically, the point of the discussion is
> the same as the point of POSIX itself: portability.

But as far as I know dwm/dmenu was written to run on POSIX compliant
operating systems. Even X11 was mainly written for POSIX compatible
operating systems. So if you port dwm/dmenu to Plan 9 or something
similar, it makes really sense to change the programme, but under the
current circumstances it is just meaningless and not constructive to
make such a quarrel about it. Just keep it simple and assume that the
system is POSIX compliant.
Additionally the Plan 9 tools require (as far as I remember) an underlying
POSIX layer.

Maybe one could a rc script as a Plan 9 like alternative, if a lot of
users request Plan 9 tools support.

> Greetings, Sander.

Regards
Matthias-Christian