Re: [dwm] mouse limits

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:17:43 +0200

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:14:06PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> Currently I have a dual head setup on my work which I find quite lovely.
>
> It is based on two dell monitors (4:3, 16:9), one of them supports an
> external VGA input.
>
> So i have added two geoms toggleable with control+alt+space
>
> DEFGEOM(dual2, 0, 0, sw, 0, bh, sw, 1050-bh, wx, wy, mfact*sw, 1025-bh, mx+mw, wy, ww-mw, wh, wx, wy, ww, wh)
> DEFGEOM(single2,1280, 0, 1680, 1280, bh, 1680, sh-bh, wx, wy, mfact*sw, 1050-bh, mx+mw, wy, ww-mw, wh, wx, wy, ww, wh)
>
> This way I can stretch all the windows to a single monitor when I switch the left monitor to a single one.
>
> This works pretty fine and I'm happy with it, but I would like to know if it is possible to
> make dwm limit the mouse movement (via #define MOUSELOCK 1 or so). This way I will not be
> allowed to move the mouse outside the area defined by the GEOM.

That's probably possible, but I don't want this for the
mainstream dwm. You can try using XWarpPointer() in a new motion
event handler which checks the root window-relative coordinate
and warps the pointer back if necessary -- though I wouldn't do
that.

> The only problem I found with this layout is when I use floating windows. Because they are not
> handled by the geoms. And maybe we can make the floating windows be relative to wx.

Floating windows are dependend from s{x,y,w,h} because we need
to support fullscreen apps as well -- and they are by definition
floating. So there needs to be a compromise here.

Kind regards,