[dwm] faster focus to client

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:26:36 +0200

What do you think about this feature? I think that could be really interesting.

When you have lot of windows opened it's mostly tedious to focus a desired window
with the keyboard. So why not tag windows with a key and make them accessible
in a faster way?

My idea is to create this code structure:

void tagclient(char *);
void focustag(char *);

You can setup a keybinding for each function and then store a single char inside
the Client structure to make it accessible with it. And we can also use the title
of the window or a property like floating for selecting the next client to be
focused.

For example. Doing focustag(""); we will toggle between the first client in the
list of the selected tags that are floating and non-floating clients. Like in wmii :)

If we call clienttag("M"); we will focus the client tagged as 'M' or with a title
name starting with 'M' like mplayer.

Another possibility is to call clienttag("-") and make dwm capture the next key
pressed and use it as argument focus it.

I don't really think this is a good design concept, but derivated ideas are welcome!

--pancake