Re: [dwm] sic ipv6 patch

From: Matthias Kirschner <mk_AT_fsfe.org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 18:13:44 +0200

Hello Anshelm,

* Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> [2008-05-19 16:33:36 +0200]:

> My licensing reasons are rather pragmatic, the reasons why I
> don't use the GPL* are:
>
> 1) I don't understand it completely and in any detail. So I
> stick to MIT that I know and understand any impact of it.

If you (like everybody else) have problems understanding GPL feel free
to contact FSFE's FTF:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/ftf/index.en.html or ask your
questions on discussion_AT_fsfeurope.org.

> 2) To be honest, I think that license violations in commercial
> products who might use GPLed code are hard to proof if they are
> done properly, so I believe that the GPL doesn't protect you
> that much in the real world from license violation. It's a
> different story in theory of course.

Yes, it is difficult, but certainly it is possible. Even in practice :)

    (That makes me think of: "In theory, there is no difference between
    theory and practice; In practice, there is." (Chuck Reid))

Beside that gpl-violations.org and FSFE's FTF have good technical
experts who can analyse GPL violations. And they get _a lot_ of
information about possible violations.

Best wishes,
Matthias

--
Deputy  German Coordinator, Fellowship Coordinator
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) []         (http://fsfeurope.org)