Re: [dwm] Freedom (was: Re: sic ipv6 patch)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:21:52 +0200

This whole discussion about licenses supports my first reason
why I don't choose GPL: I don't understand it in any detail,
because it is too long and covers to many things which I can't
remember as a whole. And I doubt most developers who license
their stuff under the terms of the GPL actually really know any
detail and possible impact of the GPL.

Hence discussions about complex licenses tend to be complex as
well, as this discussion shows (same applies to discussions
about complex software). So, instead of joining a discussion
here, I think, that the time is better invested into real
development ;)

To the proposal I should ask the FFSE guys about things I don't
understand: I think this proposal is fair, but actually I really
prefer to spend my time into developing something, instead
of discussing legal things in theory and practice. The GPL is a
very juristic text in my eyes and as usual for juristic persons,
there is so much interpretation in it, depending on their model
of freedom, thinking, culture, justice, etc. that it might be an
expensive (in the matters of time) discussion.

A decent license for less suckish software in my eyes, should be
easy to grasp and to understand and should not be any longer
than the source code itself it restricts or protects to some
extend ;) If someone is able to write a copyleft license which
might be agreed as open source license and which is as simple to
grasp as the MIT license, please volunteer!

Kind regards,