Re: [dwm] feature freeze, please test

From: yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:27:17 +0200

2008/6/14 Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:12:38PM +0200, yy wrote:
>> 2008/6/14 yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>:
>> > About the mouse warping issue we have discussed in #dwm, forget it, I
>> > can get the desired behavior with a little config.h modifications.
>> > I add:
>> >
>> > void
>> > warptosel(const Arg *arg) {
>> > if(sel)
>> > XWarpPointer(dpy, None, sel->win, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
>> > }
>> >
>> > and then, in buttons definitions:
>> >
>> > { ClkWinTitle, 0, Button1, warptosel, {0} },
>> > { ClkWinTitle, 0, Button1, movemouse, {0} },
>> > { ClkWinTitle, 0, Button3, resizemouse, {0} },
>> > { ClkWinTitle, 0, Button4, focusstack,
>> > {.i = -1 } },
>> > { ClkWinTitle, 0, Button5, focusstack,
>> > {.i = +1 } },
>> >
>> > and that's all. So I'd suggest to not touch dwm.c any more, and this
>> > message will stay here as a reference for other people if they are
>> > interested.
>> >

>> I have reverted the ButtonPressMask in the root win and added
>>
>> else
>> click = ClkWinTitle;
>>
>> after the last else if in buttonpress, if you add this to the config.h
>> modifications in my previous message managing windows in the floating
>> layout is really comfortable, just click in the root window. I think
>> further thinking is needed before getting rid of root click events
>> (though this solution is not definitive, it still has the problem of
>> window borders treated like the root win...). What do other people
>> think about this?
>
> The only thing I dislike is the reuse of ClkWinTitle for the
> root window -- if we want to do that, we need to re-introduce
> ClkRootWin.

I agree, but I just want to use the same clicks. If it is implemented
in hg tip it should be with ClkRootWin. I just found an useful use for
it and it was the fastest way of trying it.

> Also, is the warp really necessary or shouldn't the handling be
> the same as in resizemouse?

If you always warp the pointer in movemouse to a corner, you won't be
able to move windows offscreen in two sides of the monitor, which
could annoy some people (it doesn't matter me). And anyway, using
another function somebody could call it in focus key/mouse
definitions. Maybe it could use the int arg with an Enum to choose a
window corner or the center, but I'm not sure that's necessary...

> Kind regards,
> --
> Anselm R. Garbe >< http://www.suckless.org/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361

See you,