Re: [dwm] Being not so elitist

From: Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:05:29 +0200

Hello,
> We are publishing a software for the masses: we make it available and
> have a website for it, a mailing list, a wiki, and a mercurial
> repository.
> There is nothing elitist about that.
> The fact that we have to modify the source to customise the product is
 IMHO, you're staggeringly wrong, good sir.
 I think dwm doesn't make *sense* if you can't edit the source and paste
together your favorite layouts/config to create your own personalized
WM. dwm can't ever be a packaged product ready for mass consumption - if
it is, it will be a different window manager, and we'll have to abandon
it and move on. Then a few years later someone will reinvent the wheel
and say "let's finally write a minimalist WM!"
 Without a configuration GUI, window decorations, pagers and whizbang,
dwm is irrevocably elitist, and at least I would like it to stay that
way.

Regards,
 Mate