Re: [dwm] Coding styles

From: Kai Großjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:28:26 +0200

I don't understand why IDEs are considered so bad.

IDEs make it easy to shoot yourself in the foot (by clicking with the
mouse, no less). But all C programmers know that it works to just avoid
shooting yourself in the foot. Also, there may be bad IDEs.

I use Eclipse for Java programming, with viPlugin.

Regarding lock-in: Our build infrastructure is based on make, and I
integrated Eclipse and the build infrastructure. This means all
projects can be built using make. There is no lock-in. (In fact, some
team members prefer Emacs, and some use vi. We all collaborate on the
same projects.)

Regarding power of the editor: With viPlugin, I get enough basic editor
functionality so that I do not feel restrained. Yet, the Eclipse Java
editor knows Java syntax and offers a much higher level of source code
editing. Specifically, we have refactoring and quickfix support, and
code completion and navigation.

Quickfix means that the editor recognizes common compilation problems
and offers corrections. I use that to speed up typing: I say String x =
someObject.someMethod(someArg);, then wait for the editor to flag the
compilation error, then let it correct the type of x. This means that I
don't have to remember the exact type that someMethod returns, and also
I get the import statement for free.

Kai