Re: [dwm] Coding styles

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:48:08 +0200

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 17:00 +0200, markus schnalke wrote:
> [2008-07-31 16:41] pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
> >
> > I'll try to add some more precisse descriptions on the points :)
>
> and please use more easy words and less irony
> That makes the document clearer and so more useful.

> > > I use tabs for indentations and spaces to align things beginning at the
> > > indentation level, eg in multiline constructs or sometimes in variable
> > > declarations if it looks easier on the eyes. Though the latter case can't be
> > > found in open source stuff I wrote.
> >
> > Uhm. i dont like to mix spaces and tabs for indenting. Is better to let
> > this job to the editor. And keep everything in tabs (smaller source
> > files and easier editor integration)
>
> The "mixing" arg described has nothing to do with indention.
> There is clear separation:
> - tabs are for indention
> - spaces are for nice alignment of wrapped lines
>
> Editors should not try to align wrapped lines or similar stuff, cause
> they cannot do that properly.
> These spaces (after the indention tabs and before the wrapped part of
> the long line) should be controlled by the human.

yes i agree with that. it was a missinterpretation :)

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 14:04 +0000, nilp wrote:
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:37:22PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> > I wrote a random list of tips for coding (mostly in C)
> >
> > http://news.nopcode.org/miau/wk/BadCoding
> >
> > If you have some ideas/missing tips i'm open for discussion :)
> >
> > --pancake
> >

> I'd remove the "Comments are for humans" paragraph -- code commenting
> is good, and sacrificing it for less lines of code (?) is IMO stupid
> and wrong (though you could add something about commeting _what_ code
does,
> not _why_).
> Also, adding link to The Art of Unix Programming would be nice,
> there's lot of good points about code complexity etc. (100% must-read
IMHO).

We can maybe maintain this enumeration in the suckless wiki.
I dont say that removing comments is good. And remove them to reduce
LOCs is stupid. comments have nothing to do with code. The problem is
that there're lot of unnecessary comments. And i found lot of them
outdated when they are big comments, and sometimes is better change some
variable names and remove a comment than having an unreadable code with
a very explicative comment.

I am also thinking on links to "coding horror" web blog and other I read
few time ago from djb and so. I understand that the language can be a
bit agressive sometimes, but it was just a braindump, it needs to be
cleaned up. The english is not as good as it should O:)

maybe we can start with a minimalistic replacement for ED and write a
frontend for it a la vim with shell access for extensibility. it would
be great to have a minimalistic vim replacement :)

PD: http://news.nopcode.org/miau/wk/UseED

--pancake