Re: [dwm] dvtm suggestion

From: Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:49:10 +0200

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 04:28:47AM -0700, Donald Chai wrote:
>> What about the ability to run different dvtm instances on different
>> virtual terminals that share a common "session"?
>>
>> This could be seen as the tag/workspace concept. You could detach a
>> window on /dev/tty1 and reattach it in your other dvtm on /dev/tty3.
>>
>> The only thing that comes to my mind is that in order to get six
>> workspaces you'd have to log in manually six times on different
>> consoles. Or perhaps there is a getty out there that supports
>> multi-logins...
>
> Are you simply looking for a tag/workspace mechanism, or do you want the
> ability to detach and reattach sessions?
>
> - tags/workspaces are a straightforward addition to dvtm, since it was
> derived from dwm. (I have it mostly working for myself, but I had to rip
> out a lot of dvtm-specific things like 'minimize')

Why had you to rip out these things? There is a git branch which
should mostly work but i so far failed to find acceptable keybindings
for all the tag actions.

 http://repo.or.cz/w/dvtm.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tagging

> - GNU Screen does detach/reattach.

dtach provides only detach/reattach functionality without the bloat of
GNU Screen.

Regards,
Marc

--