Re: [dwm] XCB?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:12:46 +0100

2008/9/14 Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>:
> On Sep 14, 2008, at 3:02 AM, Johannes Wegener wrote:
>
>> I recently read that awesome is going to use XCB over Xlib and says that
>> it is faster becouse it is asynchronous.
>> Does XCB realy its job faster than Xlib?
>> And if this is the case is dwm going to use XCB in any further release?
>
> IMHO, asynchonicity probably only matters if you're using a bloated app over
> a slow (network) connection. Since you're probably running your window
> manager on your local machine, I'm not sure this will help dwm.

I agree.

> What would make dwm fast is really to minimize the number of Map and Expose
> events, so e.g. you don't render a Firefox window if it's unnecessary (cf.
> changeset 1355).
>
> Some people mentioned that mouseresize is really slow in dwm. The following
> patch removes resize requests that have not been handled before making a new
> one. For the benchmark of "hold down mouse button and move pointer wildly",
> it does great. I'm sure it probably breaks something else though...

The problem with this approach is, that it will only filter the events
on the dwm side, but the X server might still send a similar amount of
expose events to the clients themselves, unfortunately. So the safest
way is to increase keeping the server grab to a value which is still
sufficient for client updates, but with better performance. That's the
optimal solution I have in mind, though it's tricky to adjust.

Kind regards,
--Anselm