Re: [dwm] C-version of dwm status (no xsetroot needed)

From: Jeremy Jay <dinkumator_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:19:40 -0500

On Tue 16 Dec 2008 - 07:48PM, Guillaume Quintin wrote:
> IMHO it is too complicated. Moreover that's exactly the solution

I'm not using the glib bindings so there isn't that much complexity,
and there is really only 1 method to handle, the rest are very simple
(i've actually already coded them).

> I proposed some days ago but mine was simplier and within dwm.c. This

hadn't even crossed my mind. obviously with libnotify bindings, this
will be way too big for dwm.c (and a feature I'm sure most don't want)

> will not satisfy Donald Chai :
>
> Donald Chai wrote in a previous post :
> My status text includes the weather (updated only every 15min to
> avoid hammering their servers), and the time (updated once a minute,
> on the minute, to reduce my wakeups-per-second in PowerTOP). For me,
> this SIGALRM and spawn2 would require that I store some temporary
> data somewhere between invocations.

seems that compiling the weather stuff into C would mean that no
temporary storage is needed because you would only need one invocation
(and can keep it all in memory). and it'd be easy enough to sync the
sleep() calls to be on the minute.

> Anselm, if you don't like popen, then take Jeremy's runScript function.

for all intents, they are the same. I just had other stuff in there i
took out. I believe Anselm's problems with popen were centered on using
it to fork a status script, not the call itself...