Re: [dwm] No Border Behaviour

From: Christian Garbs <mitch_AT_cgarbs.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 21:58:29 +0100

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 06:05:35PM -0500, voltaic wrote:

> I agree with Matthias. The purpose of a border is to separate one
> client from another. If there is only one client visible at a given
> time (i.e. monocle) then borders in my opinion are a waste of space.
> So borders should be set to 0 whenever the layout is monocle,
> regardless of the number of clients tagged under the selected
> tag(s).

This is an interesting point and I can relate to it. If you follow
this through, for tiled clients only the "inner" borders are relevant
to separate it from another one. You don't have to separate a client
from the window border or the status line (this might conflict with
highlighting windows, don't know as I don't use it).

Instead of tiling like this:

[] foo 11:25
.----------..----------.
| || |
| || |
| |`----------'
| |.----------.
| || |
`----------'`----------'

this would be sufficient:

[] foo 11:25

           |------------

It's also much more consistent with the tag layout string " |-" :-)

dvtm already does this because in text mode a wasted line or column is
quite much.

Regards
Christian

--
....Christian.Garbs.....................................http://www.cgarbs.de
> Quite frankly, if I see one more person ask how to find the length of a
> string, I'm gonna scream.
"In Usenet, nobody hears you scream."                    (David H. Adler)