Re: [dwm] No Border Behaviour

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:10:40 +0100

Christian Garbs wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 06:05:35PM -0500, voltaic wrote:
>
>> I agree with Matthias. The purpose of a border is to separate one
>> client from another. If there is only one client visible at a given
>> time (i.e. monocle) then borders in my opinion are a waste of space.
>> So borders should be set to 0 whenever the layout is monocle,
>> regardless of the number of clients tagged under the selected
>> tag(s).
>
> This is an interesting point and I can relate to it. If you follow
> this through, for tiled clients only the "inner" borders are relevant
> to separate it from another one. You don't have to separate a client
> from the window border or the status line (this might conflict with
> highlighting windows, don't know as I don't use it).

No, it doesn't conflict with highlighting, because you could highlight
the adjoining borders or introduce a new highlighting indicator.

> Instead of tiling like this:
>
> [] foo 11:25
> .----------..----------.
> | || |
> | || |
> | |`----------'
> | |.----------.
> | || |
> `----------'`----------'
>
> this would be sufficient:
>
> [] foo 11:25
> |

> |------------

Maybe a separator to the status bar on top is also necessary:

[] foo 11:25
------------------------

            |------------

But generally speaking I like the concept. Anyhow I'm afraid that it
would conflict with X11's border concept, so you would have to draw the
borders in an underlying window and move and resize it (as other window
managers that use decoration do). In combination with the sufficient
border concept this would blow up dwm a bit and would introduce some
corner cases. I think this would be a reason for most users to reject
this, even if it makes more sense.

> It's also much more consistent with the tag layout string " |-" :-)
>
> dvtm already does this because in text mode a wasted line or column is
> quite much.
>
> Regards
> Christian

Regards,