Re: [dwm] No Border Behaviour

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:36:30 +0100

[2009-01-10 14:10] Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
> Christian Garbs wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 06:05:35PM -0500, voltaic wrote:
> >
> > (this might conflict with
> > highlighting windows, don't know as I don't use it).
>
> No, it doesn't conflict with highlighting, because you could highlight
> the adjoining borders or introduce a new highlighting indicator.

But problems will arise. Imaging tiling layout with only two clients.
Toggeling focus will not change the highlighting, as always the
separator between them will be highlighted.

>[] foo 11:25
> |

> In combination with the sufficient
> border concept this would [...] would introduce some
> corner cases. I think this would be a reason for most users to reject
> this, even if it makes more sense.

Simplicity first! Then Clarity! Then Generality!
Corner cases do fail with each ... even with clarity.

What's the problem with the most simple solution: 1px borders around
every client? It's simple, clear, and general.

However, I can accept a solution where borders are only separators for
tiling clients (= your sufficient border concept).

But indication of the active client must then use a different concept,
unrelated to the borders/separators.

And floating clients should have borders anyway. This would also
separatethem clearly from tiled clients.

meillo