Re: [dwm] Layers

From: Benoit T <benoit.triquet_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:16:53 +0100

hi everyone,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:25:18PM +0100, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> Dwm has by default a floating and a tiled layer that can have a different
> layout. Tiling or maximisation works fine for most clients (by the way,
> is there are reason why windows are called clients in dwm jargon?), some

in X parlance, programs connecting to the X server are called X clients
or clients. each client may open 0, 1 or many windows. that's all i
think.

> dialogs, popups or short-living windows require to be floating. Therefore
> dwm keeps these windows on an upper layer.

yup, dwm does just 2 layers, whereas ICCCM conventions have several
more. simplifying this is very much in the scklss philosophy :)

> While this makes sense for most applications, there are some (Gimp is
> as famous example for this) that are build around this WIMP concept and
> thus have to be floating in order to usable. But sometimes it makes sense
> to quickly hide them to access information hidden by them (for example
> I use the dictionary programme Ding when writing E-Mails in English).
>
> A common approach would be to dedicate a tag to them and switch
> via ALT+TAB back and forth. In my opinion this a bit cumbersome and
> non-intuitive.

i always do this

> I rather expect to rotate the two layers like I can do
> with windows in monocle layout.

i stay away from anything that moves floating windows around because
GIMP belongs to the 1% of X clients where floating windows remain a
better option than tiled windows. taste... i for one would not even look
for consensus here.
i did increase the number of tags to 9 long before this was the case in
the stock config.h.

cheers,

--
Benoit Triquet <benoit.triquet at gmail.com>