[dwm] Re: Crash-only software

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper_AT_SYSTEM.PL>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 04:41:23 +0000 (UTC)

David Tweed wrote:
>> I think that authors unnecessarily assume that software components are
>> "black boxes" that need to be kept up at all costs. This is not the right
>
> My reading was more to try and avoid the usual software development
> "tendency" that developers really don't like to think about things
> going wrong, so they spend time on code that feels "positive" like
> save routines, etc, and do as little stress testing of things as they
> can, and certainly with no regard to the users data when a programming
> error manifests.

To bring the thread back on-topic - I usually restart dwm (after
configuration change or upgrade) by killing the dwm process and
restarting my 'while...' loop in the xterm that's left open
(my X server does not die after this).

The only slight problem that all windows get tagged in the tag 1
after restart, since dwm has no clue what was the previous tag
assignement. How this internal dwm 'state' could be passed over
to the new instance?

--
              << Marcin Cieslak // saper_AT_system.pl >>