[dwm] [OT] Personal Website and CSS

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:10:35 +0100

Hi,
since several years I have been planed to launch a personal website. I
used to do quite aesthetical web design before I have subscribed to
minimalism. What annoyed me then and now was CSS and its implementations
in modern browsers.

When I tried to design a minimalist website (just some typographic
enhancements to make texts more read- and printable), I realised that
there seems to be no agreed standard for a default CSS stylesheet merely a
recommendation from the CSS standard [1] (which is incomplete) and a lot
of people seem to be concerned about resetting the browser CSS defaults -
even the W3C does so in their stylesheets [2]. Most people seems to have
installed nearly all popular browsers, test with those and incorporate
workarounds if necessary.

All in all this seems very absurd to me and I would like to know how
you approached this problem.

At the moment I'm just aware of The Anti-web Manifesto [3] that someone
linked to on this mailing list. Although I mainly subscribe to it,
browsers like Mozilla Firefox have terrible default typographic style
and using text-mode browsers like links often seems to be only solution
when reading longer texts.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Matthias-Christian