Re: [dwm] [OT] Personal Website and CSS

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:31:47 +0000

2009/2/18 Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>:
> since several years I have been planed to launch a personal website. I
> used to do quite aesthetical web design before I have subscribed to
> minimalism. What annoyed me then and now was CSS and its implementations
> in modern browsers.
>
> When I tried to design a minimalist website (just some typographic
> enhancements to make texts more read- and printable), I realised that
> there seems to be no agreed standard for a default CSS stylesheet merely a
> recommendation from the CSS standard [1] (which is incomplete) and a lot
> of people seem to be concerned about resetting the browser CSS defaults -
> even the W3C does so in their stylesheets [2]. Most people seems to have
> installed nearly all popular browsers, test with those and incorporate
> workarounds if necessary.
>
> All in all this seems very absurd to me and I would like to know how
> you approached this problem.
>
> At the moment I'm just aware of The Anti-web Manifesto [3] that someone
> linked to on this mailing list. Although I mainly subscribe to it,
> browsers like Mozilla Firefox have terrible default typographic style
> and using text-mode browsers like links often seems to be only solution
> when reading longer texts.
>
> Any ideas?

I think the only way is dropping HTML and CSS altogether and going
with something new. I'd be very interested in contributing. I think
the replacement should not only focus on presentation but equally on
forming a base for less suckish applications which are highly network
transparent.

Kind regards,
--Anselm