Re: [dwm] [OT] Personal Website and CSS

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:01:41 +0000

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> "In contrast to other protocols, IL avoids blind retransmission. This
> helps performance in congested networks, where blind retransmission
> could cause further congestion. Like TCP, IL has adaptive timeouts, so
> the protocol performs well both on the Internet and on local
> Ethernets. A round-trip timer is used to calculate acknowledge and
> retransmission times that match the network speed."
>
> "After 300 times the round trip time [..], the sender gives up and
> assumes the connection is dead."
>
> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/il/

That's interesting, although it doesn't mention the difficult case:
supposing I've got an intermittent network connection with significant
state on both ends, how do you re-establish a shared, sane and secure
state? That's part of why I'm suspicious of the complexity of stateful
connections in an ureliable (3G, WiFi) world.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com